Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Prescription For a New Attitude!

So the other day I was working at the Ghetto hospital. I actually really enjoy working there, but every once in a while I get some people that are a real hoot. So I went into room 4 and the first thing the patients says to me is that my nurse really has an attitude problem. She then proceeds to ask me why she was on the minor side and not on the major side. She progresses to tell me that I don't know anything and I tell her that I went to school for eight years and have been practicing for nearly five years. I am thinking to myself, you better believe I know a little something. Basically this lady wanted something for pain, but she said that she was allergic to all the pain medicines, so I am asking her what do you want, I will give you want you want if you can tell me what you want. It was a vicious circle. She then starts saying all sorts of stuff and I tell her, I don't have to take your verbal abuse and I walk out of the room. She gets dressed and walks out but before walking out the door she tells me that I need to write myself a prescription for a new attitude. Talk about rude. I think that she must have been having a bad day. Earlier that day I had a lady with a ring worm. I have seen it hundreds of times. It is treated with over the counter antifungal cream. She did not believe me and again told me that I didn't know what I was talking about. Sometimes I want to tell these people that if they know more than me, then why do they come to the ER.

The best though was I had a guy with tooth pain for three weeks. He had taken his friends Percocet and had been to another ER a week before. I told him several times that I wasn't a dentist, that I didn't pull teeth or fill cavities, and that he was just going to have to see a dentist. There was nothing else I could do for him. He kept telling me that he didn't have a job, didn't have insurance, and didn't have money to pay a dentist. So what did he want me to do? It just boggles my mind when people don't understand that I am not a dentist and that I don't have a magic wand to make them all better. So I gave him a prescription for Lortab, which was nice of me, and then him and his friend, who hadn't been in the room previously come back in and ask me if he can get a pain pill now. I said sure, wrote an order for it, which my nurse has to get into the pixes to get it out. So I am just sitting there waiting for my nurse to get it and the friend starts telling me how I didn't do anything for his friend that is in a lot of pain. Hello, I just wrote him something for pain, which I tried to tell him. He then sticks his hand out and tells me not to talk to him that I have had an attitude since he came in. I mean really, if people don't get what they want, I have an attitude, but they don't. So I guess, it is all my fault that I can't wave a magic wand and make people better. I have broad enough shoulder's, I will take the blame for not having a perfect health care system. Although most of the problems come from people not taking care of themselves and following the word of wisdom. It is funny that people can afford their cigarettes but can't afford a $4 prescription. Hopefully I can save the world today. If not, I will try again tomorrow. PS. Please brush and floss so that you don't have rotten teeth and have to go to the ER!

No comments:

Post a Comment