Monday, September 4, 2017

Another Hospital Stay

I came home on Wednesday and it has been fabulous being home.  But on Friday evening I started having abdominal cramping.  It actually woke me up at 230am and I was literally screaming in pain.  No one was there to hear my screams, but I felt like I was having contractions of my entire abdomen.  I mean I've never had contractions, but I'm pretty sure these felt like contractions as they would come and go.  I vomited once, more so a forced vomit and felt a little better.

Saturday morning some friends came over for muffins and fruit and I was feeling pretty good until about 1130 when the cramping came again.  I actually went to work at 1130 and breathed through the cramps and my patients complaints.  I saw 9 patients and then all of a sudden started sweating and dry heaving.  I was at the Indian hospital and they took me to the ED, but by then another episode had passed and I decided to go to the hospital closer to my house.  By the time I got to the waiting room I was in bad shape and thankfully my pulse was 152, which is pretty high for the average, not so much for me.  After sitting in the waiting room for a few minutes vomiting my brains out and wetting my pants at the same time, they called me back.  It didn't help that everyone was staring at me as I was withering in pain and vomiting at the same time.  In fact they called my name twice and a lady yells out, she's coming as she is watching me vomit across the waiting room.  Yep, I was one of those patients.  I was totally mortified.  But I was grateful they got me back, because there were several people in the waiting room and I thought there is no way I can sit here and wait for them all to go back before me. 

The PA that came in didn't have any personality, I hope he was new.  He definetly made me realize I need to smile more.  The doctor came in after and was very sympathetic and kind.  They then moved me to a bed, because apparently they initially put me in a triage bed, which impressed me even more because I got seen so quickly.  After some blood tests which were all normal and an x-ray that showed some air fluid levels, aka a partial bowel obstruction which I knew I had, the PA asked me if I was ready to go home.  Really?  But then he was like I mean we could put in observation for a while (still no smiling or personality and an ugly ponytail).  Idiot.  I knew what I had when I went in, but I also knew I needed some kind of treatment.  The pain meds didn't even work.  And really the best thing for an obstruction is not eating.  But then they offered me food.  So crazy.  Thankfully my friend Melanie and her husband who is my bishop came because my mom called them.  A surgeon came in and decided I needed a ct, which I didn't want to have, but I think the contrast was the treatment because it gives me diarrhea, even though I was totally not constipated.  I know TMI.  The CT showed inflammation like it did in April.  I did feel better by morning and was discharged before noon.  I hardly slept and was glad to get home.  I still have some soreness in my lower abdomen.  It actually feels like I just had surgery, but I feel so much better.  I attribute quick healing to prayers, fasting and a priesthood blessing.  All of the doctor's kept telling me I looked good, really I think I look like death.  I guess they were expecting a thin, pale cancer patient.
I'm off to Montana tomorrow to meet my friend Teressa and attend an OVC retreat!  And I'm not going to lug my computer, so I'll see you back in a week!

Oh, and my nephew shot this bear on Saturday.  No wonder there are so many fires in the west, Smokey is dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment