Saturday, April 21, 2018

Mom's Staycation

Mom came to visit me for a week.  Just her and I!  Really she came to check up on me to makes sure I was eating and to go to the Dr. with me. 

Saturday when she arrived I took her to a Thai restaurant that I had driven by the day before in Tempe.  It was super delicious.  I then took her to ASU where we listened to some students perform in a quartet.  They were incredible.  We also went to a play, but the language was so bad that we didn't even make it through 1/4 of it before we left. 

Monday afternoon we had lunch with Aunt Leslie and our friend Tina who was visiting from PA.  We met her at our very first Canadian Tenors Concert.  It was super fun to visit with her and catch up.
Tuesday morning my friend Nicole came over and we had acia bowls and chatted.  Her husband got into PA school and they are going to live in my house when their lease is up over the summer and before they move to Florida.  I'm not home much in the Summer so it will be nice knowing someone will be here.  And when I am home it will be fun to have her here.  We have become such great friends and I'm so thankful for her in my life.

Each day I told my mom I was going to cook for her and each day we found ourselves hungry around 3 and found someplace to share a meal.  Mom often would tell me that I had to eat a few more bites.  I kind of felt like a kid, but I've been in so much pain that I haven't had an appetite. 

Wednesday we were suppose to see Dr. S, but they didn't have the biopsy results, so we rescheduled for next week.  I did take mom to the Neiman Marcus Cafe, which I love.  And we had a visit with Dr. D who increased my pain meds and suggested visiting with her colleague Dr. C who may be able to do some radiation. I also started on a prednisone pack to see if it will decrease the inflammation from the tumor on my right hip which is causing the pain. 

Wednesday evening mom, my friend Barbara and I saw the play Thoroughly Modern Millie.  It was a darling production and our seats were perfect on the front row.  There is so much entertainment in Phoenix and I love it.  Last week Barbara and I went to the Tempe Winds concert where they played Disney songs.  It was fantastic.

I felt a little better Friday so mom and I did a little shopping.  I got an awesome pair of Brooks running shoes, which I have been wanting for a while.  That evening we had a fantastic time with our friends the Sondrups watching the Diamondbacks play.  It was the perfect evening for a baseball game.  I love baseball games.  They are kind of long and drawn out, but relaxing.
Mom left this morning with strict instructions to eat more.  I've lost over 20 pounds in the past year, which I'm not complaining about, but I haven't tried to lose the weight.  I suspect the tumor pushing into the stomach has something to do with it. 

Mom and I didn't do any changes to the house, no re-decorating or painting walls, but we enjoyed each other's company, enjoyed my beautiful back yard, swinging on the swing and relaxing.  Oh, and I slept a little.  The pain meds make me tired, but I'm also still fighting with my thyroid.  Thanks to the steroids, I've perked up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment