Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tanner's Big Day

Tanner's Sophmore Year at Tristen's Wedding. Mom made him part his hair, so because he didn't want to do this he decided he was going to wear this jacket as a joke, which he had bought at the Desert Industries and wore when he dressed up for Homecoming week, thinking that it was not so nice and the glasses with no glass. He looked right handsome.

I have to interrupt my vacation blogging to congratulate my little brother Tanner on his graduation from high school. I so wish that I could be there today, even though we know that graduations are pretty boring, unless you are the one graduating and even then they can be boring. Although, since Tanner is the Senior Class President, he gets to stand up and speak to his fellow classmates. I talked to him a few weeks ago and asked him what he was going to say. He didn't know. I suggested that he write a song and play his guitar. That would be something that would be a little more entertaining and memorable. I highly doubt he did this, but I think it was a good idea. I hope that he emails me a copy of his speech or that someone doesn't forget to charge the video recorder (as this happens often at our house and always on important occasions) so they can record it and I can watch it later, unless someone accidentally records over it, which also happens.
So in my conversation with Tanner he was telling me how he was just ready to be done with school and move on. He has had quite a time the last few months, including having to make up 12 days of seminary. I mean, who misses that many days of seminary in one quarter, especially when it is in the middle of the day, unless you just skip class, what could be more important than learning the gospel. So we were talking about how life is like a book and I was saying that he was coming to the end of a chapter and about to start another one. He said, "I don't look at it as the end of a chapter because I am not always excited about the next chapter. I look at it as the next book in a series, which I do get excited about." I have to agree. Life is like a series. You are always a bit sad to come to the end of a book, but so excited when the next book comes out. I feel like right now I am in the middle book of the series, which can kind of feel like it is dragging out and a little boring. Hopefully the end of this book is coming and something exciting, like a new book is about to start.
So Tanner this is for you. I hope that the next book is even better than the last book and that life throws you some great curve balls. You have some exciting choices to make in the near future, I wish you the best in all that you do. One of my favorite quotes says, "It is truly said: It does not take much strength to do things, but it requires great strength to decide what to do." Chow Ching.
I think Dr. Seuss said it best,
"Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places! You're off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go. You'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care. About some you will say, 'I don't choose to go there.' With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you're too smart to go down any not-so-good street...So be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea, or Tanner Louis Young, you're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way! I Love You

1 comment:

  1. Yay for your brother!! :)

    I love that Dr. Suess quote...I'm going to copy and paste that if you don't mind. (And the other one too). ;)

    ReplyDelete