Saturday, July 14, 2018

A Few Things Before We Go Cruisin'

I flew home Wednesday and had my routine scan and blood work Thursday.  I then went to MSTI Nampa to have my dressing changed and as soon as I got there the nurse asked to look at my eyes.  He had just gotten a call from Boise MSTI that my Hemoglobin was low and that I needed to have a blood transfusion.  Um no wonder I've been vomiting in dressing rooms, in the parking lot at Costco and other entities.  I finally get it, when my heart rate goes up, I get short of breath and start vomiting with even the slightest exertion it means I need a transfusion.  I'm pretty sure I had other plans for my day, actually I was going to have lunch with Alisha, but that changed rather quickly.  Instead I had a date on the 4th floor with my amazing nurses, one of which was recently diagnosed and treated for breast cancer (she actually is positive for BRCA1 and 2 which is rare) and one who took care of me when I was really sick.  I was the only one there.  It was kind of nice to have their one on one attention and to talk freely.  Every time I get blood I think about the people who took the time to donate for me.  I'm so grateful for them.  Someday I hope that I will know who they are and can thank them personally.  It is such a gift that I can't live without.
Yesterday I visited Dr. Dan and reviewed my scan.  Unfortunately there is some growth from my scan in March, especially the one on the vaginal anal wall, the mass in the upper abdomen and some new spots on the liver.  But there was also some tumors in the lungs that shrunk.  We decided that we would stay on tamoxifen and start cytoxan which is an oral chemo.  It has been quite a while since I have been on chemo.  Thankfully I won't lose my hair on this.  However, I am getting really tired of the bone pain that is caused from the tamoxifen.  My hips and thighs feel like I've been hit with a baseball bat.  Unfortunately the long acting pain medication isn't really helping my spine pain.  I feel like I'm counting down the hours until I can take my next short acting pain medication.  Of course I had to visit nurse Pat while I was there.  I will be so sad when she retires in October.  She is one of the only nurses who can actually get my port to work.
The kids came over for a little swimming today.  Unfortunately I'm not really allowed to swim with this lovely back jewelry.  I'm sure I will from time to time, but not today.  It is always fun to watch the kids swim though.
Dad and mom always want to get rid of this airplane, but I keep reminding them how much fun the kids have on it.
The rest of this evening was spent packing and getting ready for our big Alaskan Cruise.  We leave tomorrow!  I can't wait.  I've heard this is a trip of a lifetime.  I guess we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment