Saturday, December 30, 2017

Christmas Eve-Eve

We've always had Christmas Eve with my dads family, but given Christmas Eve was on a Sunday and we couldn't reserve the church on a Sunday, we had it on the 23.  It actually worked out great.  There were over 120 family members in attendance.  I think one of the biggest turn outs we've had in many years.  I love that this is the only time of the year that we have as many Young's together as we can. 

We always have a delicious dinner including grandma's yummy red punch.  This year it seemed to have hit the spot for me and had the perfect icy consistency that I love.  I think that we are always afraid there won't be enough food, but there has never been a year this has happened.  In fact there are always lots of left overs. 

My very favorite part of Christmas Eve is getting all of the kids dressed and ready for the nativity.  It is humbling to me as we prepare to depict such a sacred time in human history.  And I really feel like the kids can sense the sacredness of this event as well.  My cousins little 3 year old came up to me just before we started the program.  She was concerned that she didn't have a tie around her waste like the other angels.  It was so cute.  I loved watching Aidree's face as she played the part of Mary.  This year some of the older children narrated.  I think they did a great job.
I love how Joseph (Bridger) is looking at Mary in the picture.

Our newest tradition which is several years old now is a photo both which is always fun;
 These two...
Of course we always have a little visit from Santa himself!
And as we leave for the evening, we leave with the tradition of all traditions:  Grandma's candy/cookie platters, which I've taken over as my little project.  I love the happiness that comes from the memories of Grandma's baking and the platters she always sent us home with. 
 When we were cleaning out my grandparents house we came across Grandma's very sad looking wood succor Christmas tree.  I remember my cousin asking me if I wanted it and I said no because it looked really bad.  But she talked me into taking it.  I am so glad that she did.  I am pretty sure that my Grandma Young would have been very impressed with my spray painting skills.  Out in the snow and cold, in my ugg boots and robe, I revived this little tree by a can of spray pain.  I loaded it up with dum dums and brought it to our Christmas Eve party.  There were some very happy cousins to see this tree.  The great grands, especially my nieces and nephews loved having this at my parents house this year, especially little Klara.  For sure this will be added to our Christmas decorations for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment