Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Visit To Alabama





I'm sorry to those of you who have been following my blog. I have been busy with work and needing to blog, but just haven't had much time the past week or so. So here is an update on my last mini-vacation.
The first weekend in February I flew to Alabama on a Saturday morning to see my cousin Emilie and her family. I lived with them when I was in grad school in Kentucky and it is because of them that I live on the east coast. I am sure my family doesn't thank them, but I do, because I have had so many amazing experiences since I have been here and have made some wonderful friendships. I would say Emilie is just as close as a sister. We have this amazing relationship that we just pick up from where we left off. We have never had an argument and she just always laughs when I tell her that my children will always be reverant in church, will never have sticky hands, or run around outside barefoot.
So it was a great surprise when I got off the plane in this itty, bitty airport to see Emilie, Macie, Ella, and Carson coming through the doors of the airport. You know, people in my family don't greet you in the airport these days, they pick you up after you have gotten your bags at the curb, with the police man staring at you for stopping. It was an absolutely beautiful day in Montgomery. The air was warm, the sky was blue and there was a slight breeze. When we got home, we sat outside in our lawn chairs and chatted, while Jeff made a box garden for Emilie's future veggies. I was amazed at how easy it was for him and he had it done in no time. The highlight of our day was watching Carson about kill himself on the four-wheeler as he ran into the fence. It was actually pretty funny, but scary for him. My children will always wear helmets when riding such adventureous vehicles.
We then went to dinner at this lovely Mexican restaurant where first thing, someone knocked over a large glass of coke. Children, we sure do love them! We went to this hometown tool store I guess you can call it, I bought this great sweat shirt that says,"Wanted, John Deere." We thought it was pretty funny.
Sunday was Ella Grace's big day. She was baptized. I gave the baptism talk and of course she wasn't paying any attention to me. I thought back on the day that I was baptized that I probably wasn't paying much attention either. In fact, I can't even remember who spoke. The thing I do remember was that the water was freezing cold.
Monday we went to their little downtown. I love little, old fashion towns. They are always so much more exciting and relaxing than the big city. We also had lunch at this fantastic Tai restaurant. That night we made Valentine cookies for FHE. I tried not to think what might have been in the cookies as the children enjoyed touching the cookie dough a little too much. They were delicious none the less.
The highlight of my visits with the Parrotts is when the girls play with my hair. I love it and so do they. It is so relaxing and they all are great stylists.

Tuesday Emilie and I went on this great jog. She say's she is afraid to go around her neighborhood because of dogs. We went across the street to a nursing home that had a great walking path and no cars. I miss our nightly walks in Kentucky. They were always a great way to end the day and gave us time to chat.
It is always sad for me to leave the Parrotts, but I am a working girl and so I said farewell. Hopefully they will come visit me in a few weeks!
PS. Thanks to teenager or almost Hannah for giving up her very comfortable bed. She is such a good sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment