Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Celebrations

So this past weekend was Easter. I am sure there were plenty of Easter Celebrations, with plenty of children hoarding little plastic eggs with prizes and candy inside. In fact, my little friend Madeline McConkie got the egg with the golden ticket, which was actually a $20 gift certificate to Toys R US. That is a kids dream. Anyway, I worked the night shift the past three days. We were saturated with people all weekend. In fact it was so bad on Saturday night that the MD who was suppose to get off at 1:00am didn't end up leaving until 4:00am and the PA who was suppose to leave at 2:00am didn't leave until 5:00am. What were these people in the ED for you ask, lets see, I had a lady who had a history of a sore throat and waited over 5 hours for me to tell her that she didn't have strep throat. I gave her a script for magic mouthwash, which I am sure didn't do much of anything. I also had a 13 year old with Chicken Pox; only the 4th case I have seen in my years of practice. You just don't see it these days because of the Chicken Pox vaccine, so when I see it, I am a little surprised. I did have a few real emergencies, one that actually gave me my first adrenaline rush since working in the ED. Seriously. It was a 7 year old who was having an allergic/asthma attack and wasn't moving hardly any air at all and gasping for air as I had him try to take a deep breath. I admit, he gave me quite a little scare, but after four breathing treatments he was much better. He did get admitted for observation though. I must say, he was quite the little trooper.
I got an Easter package from mom on Thursday. It is always a treat to get a surprise package in the mail, especially a box. It consisted of those Reese's PB Eggs, sweat tart jelly beans, these Winco ( you can only get them at the hometown Winco store) sour jelly beans that I love, and some powdered strawberry and raspberry glaze that you can't find in our grocery stores. I was pretty stoked. I also got a card from Grandma Betty, which is always a treat.
The best treat was an invitation to have Easter dinner with my dear friends the McConkies. Talk about the sweetest person ever; that Shelley McConkie is so wonderfully sweet. She made a homemade dinner of funeral potatoes, bone in ham, her mother's homemade rolls, a to die for Cesar salad, and to top it off, homemade apple pie. She literally peeled the apples just before we had dinner. I had planned to go home after church and have a bowel of cereal or a wheat English muffin with PB and honey, which I had actually had for breakfast. The dinner was amazingly delicious and the company was just as wonderful. Another sister Rebecca Poder and her one year old daughter Cornelius also joined us for dinner. Rebecca is from England. I think she is just darling and could listen to her talk all day.
And I can't leave Matthew McConkie out of this little posting, bless his heart, he is in the running along with many other's to find me a husband. So I may give in and attend his institute class this week, as he believes there are several couples in his class that are engaged or at least "together", which all stem from going to institute. I informed him that I attended institute for over 10 years, in fact I have a doctorate degree from attending institute so much, of course I haven't earned a MRS. degree yet. So I hope that Matthews magic works on me Tuesday night! Wouldn't that just be something?
Since I stayed up 26 hours yesterday, I was exhausted and had a very difficult time prying myself from the bed this A.M. In fact it is noon and I am still not ready for the day. I just can't seem to get myself going. I could probably sleep all day and should, but I can't stand to waste my day off. So, I will shortly be on my way to finish my Easter festivities, by making my way to my local Target for my 50% off Starburst Jelly Beans. Although last year I missed out on them because I was out of town, so hopefully this is my year.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you got your jelly beans! I hit Target this morning, too, but my goal was the CHOCOLATE! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good time at Shelley and Matt's! :) And I have some Starburst jellybeans if you didn't find any at Target.

    (And Rebecca's daughter's name is actually Cordelia). ;)

    ReplyDelete