Monday, October 30, 2017

Halloween Traditions

I LOVE our family Halloween traditions.  Some of my most favorite memories are Halloween evenings spent at my grandparents trick or treating around their little circle.  That circle of about 10 homes, once felt really big, but with time it became smaller.  There was a lady who didn't pass out candy, but gave us the choice between a dime and a pencil.  I can't remember what I chose each year, but it's something I'll never forget.  My grandparents had this awesome fireplace in the backyard, where we would roast hotdogs and grandma always had homemade (not from a mix) hot chocolate on the stove.  And sometimes if we were lucky she made long johns, aka maple bars.

This past Friday was our Young Family Halloween Party.  It's something I choose never to miss.  We now hold this annual party at my cousin Reads the weekend before Halloween.  We typically have a hay ride, we now eat soup and rolls and of course my cousin Katie continues Grandma's Hot Chocolate tradition.  There is always a fire going in the fire pit where we gather around to catch up with cousins.   Of course it wouldn't be Halloween without all of the adorable children in their costumes going from car to car filling their bags with sugar.
 Prettiest Unicorn ever!  And General Lee!
 Hey Abe Lincoln!
Little Red Riding Hood only smiles if she can see herself when taking a selfie.  It's so funny.

This years party didn't disappoint.  I loved that my cousin Misty was able to come this year from Eastern Idaho with her children.  Unfortunately Alisha was home with a sick baby.  We missed her.  The weather this year was fabulous.  To end the evening off, we watched It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown outside.  I love my family and the memories that we always make together.  I'm sure that with each family gathering, our grandparents are proudly watching from Heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment