Monday, May 11, 2015

An East Coast Visit

Charlotte!  Oh how I love you!  I no longer feel like I’m home when I visit Charlotte, but I love the sights, the food and oh the dear friends I have there.  I’m so grateful for wonderful friends. 

Lauren picked me up from the airport late on Tuesday.  Wednesday her kids were super excited to see me and to see my hair.  Lauren has 4 adorable little boys.  The youngest just turned 5 and went around the house calling me, “Miss Tewah.”  It was so cute.  We took the boys to school and headed to the craft store where we purchased fabric and ribbon to make headbands for our race.  We then went to the Vera Bradley outlet where I splurged a little.  My big purchase was a backpack.  I have been looking at backpacks for months and got a different one than I had my eye on.  I also got a darling teal and orange bracelet, some hair stuff to keep my hair out of my face while it grows long enough to stay behind my ears and a few gifts.  For lunch we went for sushi, not my favorite Wasabi Café, but another place.  It was pretty good, but not Wasabi Café.  We then went home and basked in the sun for an hour before picking the kids up and going for a Sonic run.  Sonic happy hour there is for 3 hours instead of the usual 2.  We then chatted with the neighbor across the street who actually use to be my next door neighbor when I lived in Charlotte. That evening after dinner we made our headbands.
Brody had fun swimming.
I love this stretch of road by my home in CLT
Thursday while the kids were at school we hit a few stores and then I had lunch with my dear friend Rachel.  I haven’t seen her for over a year.  It was so wonderful to catch up.  
At the first Teal Diva Survivors Luncheon I attended just after I finished chemo, I won a cooking class for a few friends and me.  Thursday night Karen, Emma, Vicki, Lauren, Katie and I learned how to chop vegetables and fruit the correct way.  We also were able to pick a few dishes to make and we made them.  We had a blast!  We will definitely do the follow up class when I go back in December.  
I learned how to make Quinoa to where it doesn’t take long and tastes delicious. 

1 Cup of Quinoa to 1 ½ cups water.
Brown the Quinoa alone in a pan until it smells toasty, add a sprinkle of salt and then the water.  When this comes to a boil, cover and turn to low for 12 minutes.  That’s it!
We made quinoa thai peanut bowls with this. 

For a drink we had Coconut Italian Sodas:  club soda, fat free half and half, and sugar free coconut syrup with Sonic Ice.  Yummy! 

Vicki brought me a banana pudding.  Yummy!  Yes, I ate too much food while I was in Charlotte, which means I will have to workout extra hard in the next month. 
Friday morning we went to Aldi’s to get more quinoa and then my friend Michael from work came for lunch.  We fed him leftovers and the healthiest meal he has had in years.  He loved it though.  It was so fun to sit and talk with him for nearly 3 hours.   
When he left Lauren and I went to have pedicures and manicures.  I needed some teal polish for the upcoming OVC event. 

Nick met us for Food Truck Friday and then for ice cream.  It was so good to see him.  I stayed Friday and Saturday night with him.  Tenielle flew from SLC to Baltimore where our friend Pamela picked her up and they drove to Nicks.  Crazy, because they got stuck in DC traffic which put them at having a 9 hour drive to CLT.  They didn’t get to CLT until 3am.  They got a few hours of sleep and then we got up bright and early to head to the first ever Teal Diva 5K. 

Saturday morning was absolutely beautiful and so was the walk route.  It was so fun to have several of my friends there to support this great cause.  They raised over 45,000 dollars and had over 400 walkers/runners.  I loved the signs that they had along the route.  I also got some beautiful Kendra Scott earrings for being a survivor. 
We went back to Nicks to shower and get ready for the day and then met both of his Grandmother's, 2 aunt's and 2 cousin's for lunch at the Soda Shop.  They have lunch every Saturday together.  Kind of a fun tradition I’d have to say.  
Yes I got my fill of bbq and cheerwine!

We did some shopping at an antique store, had a sweet treat at a new bakery and then headed to CLT where we continued our Food Tour at Pinky’s (which has the same cooks as the Penguin use to have).  They have the best fried pickles! For dinner we went to VaPiano where we shared a few dishes, then got dessert from Amelies.  We took dessert home and had it later, because lets face it we were pretty stuffed.
Sunday morning we left for Baltimore.  It was a long ride, but not as long as Friday night’s.  This was quite the sacrifice and such a short trip for Tenielle and Pamela.  I’m so grateful for their support and willingness to spend their time traveling and such for me.  We made some wonderful memories for sure.  Pamela’s kids are absolutely darling!  She has a 3 year old daughter that is full of spunk and her 5 month old baby was so good to travel and be lugged around CLT.  Pamela's husband Ryan who I went to High School with had dinner of BBQ when we got home.  It was delicious and we had Nicks banana pudding for dessert.  Yummy!  It was fun to sit and chat with Ryan and Pamela that evening.
Today my friend Sarah that I met in Jr. High and who lives in Virginia came to Pamela’s and we all had lunch on the Bay.  It was so fun to visit with her for several hours.  I talk to Sarah usually once a year on her birthday and the last time I saw her was 10 years ago.  This was such a treat and it was just like no time had passed at all. 

 And now Tenielle and I are flying to Boise for my Grandpa’s Youngs Funeral.  He sadly passed away on Wednesday.  We will definitely miss this amazing man.


  1. WOW so much in one blog!! You lead a wonderful life!! Are you kidding me you bought something at Vera Bradley, not Terah!! Great pictures!!

    1. I tried not to, but you know I can't go there without buying something!

  2. What an amazing trip, Terah!
    p.s. I am jealous of all your cute clothes. Best wardrobe ever.

    1. Wow, I've never had such a nice compliment! When you wear scrubs nearly every day, you take advantage of the days you don't have to! All the credit goes to TJ Maxx and Talbots!