Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History Today

"Today isn't about me, it is about the American people." President Barack Obama. Now that sounds weird, but I am sure in 4 years, it will sound normal. My feelings are mixed today. I think mostly because I live in the south, where I am surrounded by African Americans. I have thought so many times since President Obama won the election, how life in North Carolina was so different less than 50 years ago. It is hard for me to imagine segregation. The news and people here have made such a huge issue of the fact that we now have a Black president. I understand that this is history, because of the history of blacks, but I also keep going back to the fact that God doesn't look at our color. We are all the same color in His eyes.

The morning after the election, I went to the gym. This loud, obnoxious black guy came in saying how excited he was that we were going to have a black president. Annoyed by his behavior and comment, I simply said to him, "He is half White." It shut him right up! He didn't say another word about it the entire class.

So I have thought about all that has gone on in the past few months. It seems like this was all about race to many people. As I am sitting here watching reviews of today's events, (as I was working as all of this was taking place today) I am seeing very few White's, no Hispanics, no Asians, mostly all blacks giving their feelings on having a Black president. So what are the opinions of White people on having a half White, half Black president?

My feeling is this, he is God's child. I am going to support him as if he was White, and hoping and praying that he makes this country a better place to live and raise families. And I believe what he said today, "Today isn't about me, it's about the American people." I look forward to seeing what he does for the American People in the coming 4 years. Will he really turn this country around? And how is he going to do it? Will he ruin this country? Will he be true to his word? Also, remember the fact that he doesn't make all of the decisions, yes, he may have the final word, but the senate makes many of the decisions and since Democrats rule the senate, I am sure he will agree with most of their decisions.

Now for a word on the out going President Bush. I believe he did his very best. He had a lot to deal with in his presidency. The problems we are having now aren't the effects of his presidency, but from the decisions that were made in the previous presidency. Unfortunatly, President Bush is blamed for the economic down turn we are experiencing at this time. I believe that President Bush loves our country and worked hard for America and the American People.

P.S. Bob Woodruf just came on TV reporting on wounded soldiers attending a ball honoring those who serve our country. It is good to see him reporting and the miracle which took place in his life.

2 comments:

  1. That was very well said, Terah. And I totally agree with all of that. I hope he does a good job too...and like you said, it's the Senate that "rules the roost" (so to say).
    My cousin told me that Pres. Uchtdorf and another member of the 12 or a General Authority were there today. Wish they would have showed them on TV! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was exciting to watch the inauguration yesterday. I've been on the Mall quite a few times, but I just couldn't fathom that many people there all at once!

    I didn't vote for Obama, but I'm certainly hopeful he'll be a good president.

    By the way, have you read Bob Woodruff's book about his injury and recovery? He and his wife wrote it together, and it goes back and forth between their two perspectives to tell the story. It's very good!

    ReplyDelete