Saturday, July 17, 2010

My kids will never act like this...

Today was about the best day I have had in a very long time at work. I believe the good Lord is mindful that I really wanted to quit my job earlier this week and that I really needed a break. I think I maybe saw 18 patients and most were pretty quick and easy, except for one little or rather chunky 6 year old. He was running from a brother who was chasing him and caught his little nipple on the corner of something, which in turn got him a visit with me. So this kid is screaming and yelling and foaming at the mouth even before I touched him. I knew this was going to be quite the treat for all of us. Before we even tackled the kid down he was literally yelling at his mother that he hated her and she said nothing. When did we allow children to talk like this and get away with it, especially to the woman who carried him for nine months? Mother couldn't handle the blood or maybe it was her way of ignoring the behavior so she stepped out. When she did he continued to yell even louder. The mother instinct in me stopped what I was doing and said in a very stern voice, "Listen to me. You may yell at your mother, but you will not yell at me." That's all it took and I got a little respect, well, not really but he did stop yelling. As I was sewing him up I proceeded my little lecture in telling him that he was being disrespectful to his mother in yelling at her and telling her he hated her. And when I finished my job, he was instructed that he would apologize to her and tell her he loved her, which he immediately did when she walked back in the room. My nurses were quite surprised, but impressed at my lecturing. I'm sorry, but I won't take that kind of behavior from a 6 year old or a 60 year old, especially when they are in my ER. I don't understand people these days that they don't have any respect for other's, especially those that take care of them. Hopefully however I made somewhat of an impact on this little guys life, I mean he should remember me the rest of his life every time he looks at his chest and sees his irregular nipple; that wasn't very easy to sew back together I might add.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I'm laughing out loud because I can totally picture you lecturing this little patient of yours. I just hope my kids' behavior never warrants being the subject of one of your blog posts. =)

    Just for the record, though, I totally agree with you. =)

    ReplyDelete