Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Can't Catch A Break

As I'm sitting here on my couch watching my favorite series Hart of Dixie I have to breath through the contraction like pain I've been having in my abdomen since Sunday.  The cramping lasts for about 5-10 seconds and comes and goes every 5-10 minutes or so.  Yes, I've never had real contractions, but I had a kidney stone when I was 8 and I imagine this is exactly what contractions feel like...cramping really bad, build up and then release.  I was for sure I had something that was going to require a tube in my nose or a surgery. I actually worked through this pain for 13 hours yesterday.  Crazy Girl.  Not only do I have cramping pain I have surgery like pain on top of it. 

Today my friend Melinda accompanied me to my scheduled Dr.'s appointment with Dr. D.  My abdomen is so tender to barely any touch that I actually wore my stretchy pants, which I would typically not do such a thing.  It was agreed that a CT was definitely in order.

That's not all, I've been so thirsty the last few days and seriously couldn't get enough water, which is now finally tasting normal since I stopped taking the PARP Inhibitor Monday.  I am almost positive my body just can't handle it.  The first treatment in 4 years that I just can't do.  Given the fact that my tongue was basically attached to the roof of my mouth we also agreed a liter of fluids was necessary.  As Dr. D put it, baby steps to getting me back to feeling better.  Oh, did I add that I'm rediculously tired, nauseated and have absolutely no appetite from that medicine.  3 weeks is all I could do of those side effects.   

I admitted to Dr. D that I need a break physically and emotionally from any treatment.  She reassured me that its okay.  We will revisit it after my world travels. 

The CT came back showing Colitis.  The funny thing is the symptoms typically for colitis are diarrhea, fever, vomiting, and a high white count; all of which I don't have.  My white count today was 2.35, so this isn't likely infectous.  I'm blaming it on the meds and it causing a heck of inflammation in my abdomen.  I actually feel like I just had surgery.  Walking, riding in a car, especially going over bumps and turning over in bed makes the pain so much worse.  If I can lay or sit very still I can handle it. 

Dr. D gave me 3 options: Hospital stay tonight, return to her office for fluids and evaluation tomorrow and if I'm doing better no hospital stay, but if I'm not doing better I'll be admitted.  She actually told me to bring a packed hospital bag just in case.  Seriously that's the last thing I want and so close to my trip too.  The other option was to take an antibiotic in case it is an infection, which would likely give me diarrhea.  I opted for number 2.  I'm praying that I feel better tomorrow.  Oh, and she told me I couldn't work my shifts this weekend.  Dr's orders. 

The Good News:  I have an amazing friend Melinda who sat with me all day.  She picked me up at 9am and didn't leave my house until 5pm.  I'm incredibly grateful for people who serve me, even though I wish I was the one serving. 

Even better news is that after having a blessing on Wednesday the back pain improved and by Saturday it was gone and is still gone.  In the blessing my brother Troy blessed that the back pain would resolve.  Yes, I believe the radiation worked, but I also believe in the power of the priesthood and that Heavenly Father answers prayers. 
Alisha sent me this picture last week.  Oh how I love tulips!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear you are feeling so crummy Terah! Yes, you need a break. Prayers that you will feel fabulous on your trip. Love you!