Friday, May 25, 2012

Summer Reading

My Grandma Betty and I both love to read.  Growing up I always looked forward to the summer when I would have Tuesday mornings alone with Grandma Betty.  You see Tuesday mornings were the time we would go to the Nampa Library for the summer reading program.  We have always lived in the county and since we weren't rich enough, my family didn't have a city library card, but Grandma Betty did.  So from the time I was in first grade through Junior High, each Tuesday during the summer was set apart for library time.  When Tristen got old enough, she would go as well and I'm sure Tenielle went from time to time to.  Typically each summer afternoon for an hour it was mandatory in our home that each of us go to our room or wherever we wanted spending an hour in our favorite novel.  For some of us, however we could spend all day enjoying the characters in our books.  Just because I don't go to the library with Grandma Betty each Tuesday doesn't mean I've given up this tradition, in fact I think I treasure it even more.  I especially look forward to this summer given the fact that I haven't spent a summer at home for over 11 years.  I'm already collecting my summer reads.  Grandma Betty and I continue even as adults to enjoy talking about what we are reading and share books with each other.  I've ordered several books and have enjoyed getting them in the mail.  I'm going to the beach today.  One of my favorite things to do is get lost in a novel on the beach while listening to the waves roar against the shore and the sun beating down on my skin.  These days instead of going to the library I go to Costco for book ideas and then I come home and order them on Half.com or Amazon.com for $.75 plus shipping which is still cheaper than Costco and then I get to share the good books with my sisters and Alisha.  So far my summer reads include but are not limited to:
Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson (which I've already started...it's just okay.  Too much talk about having the dream life of being a wife and a mother so far, I'm sure it will get better.)
The Walk Series by Richard Paul Evans #2 and #3
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  Recommended by my friend Kaycee who couldn't believe I've never read this classic.  It still remains on the NY best seller list, so it must be good.
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
Crossing To Safety by Wallace Stegner.  Recommended by a blog reader
Surround Yourself With Greatness by Chad Lewis previous Philadelphia Eagles Football player who spoke at Womens Conference.
These Is My Words by Nancy Turner.  My Charlotte friends, especially Taya have raved about this one.  Can't wait to dive into it.
I'm currently reading At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks and Suck In Your Stomach and Put Some Color On: What Southern mommas tell their daughters that the rest of  Y'all should know by Shelly Rushing Tomlinson.  Thanks to my friend Lauren.  The funny thing about this book is my Western mother taught me the same things that are taught in this book by Southern momma's.
One of my most favorite summer reads is The Secret Life of Bee's.  The first time I read this book was the first summer I lived in Charlotte. I could really put myself in the book when they talked about the hot, humid summers of the south.  This book never gets old.
What is on your Summer Reading list?  Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment