Thursday, February 16, 2012

Saying A Final Goodbye At Least For Now


I think this was one of the last pictures I have with grandma when she was well.

Last Friday night was grandma's viewing and my cousins bridal shower; I know crazy.
Saturday was grandmas funeral.  We woke up to fog and the smell of rain.  I wanted blue sky and sunshine as we had had the day before, but maybe grandma liked rain; I don't know about that.  Because I played the organ my sister and I went to the church a little early so I could set the settings on the organ.  Grandma was already there in the RS room.  It was nice to be in there without a crowd to say a final goodbye.  I carried with me in my purse grandmas perfume and Tenielle and I took turns giving her a few final sprays so that when grandpa came in she would smell as she always did.  I missed the family prayer and the closing of the casket, which I was okay with because I got to play the organ as they brought grandma into the chapel.  I felt that I was able to give her one last gift as I played a mothers medley both as they brought her in and took her out.  The funereal was a beautiful tribute with both laughter and tears.  I am positive that grandma was smiling down on all of us as she listened to the words of love that were spoken of her.  I always love musical numbers and the ones in her honor that day were perfect.  Tony and Tanner sang, "Just Beyond The Moon" with the guitars.  It was grandma and grandpa's song.  They sounded amazing and from my seat on the stand I saw many shedding tears.  It was so cute when just before they sang, Grandpa stood up.  I think he was doing so because he was tired of sitting, but I also think it was his way of singing their song in his heart to her one last time.  The other musical number was performed by 46 of the 50 grandchildren and some great grandchildren.  We sang I Am A Child Of God and Love Is Spoken Here.  They were beautifully done.
One of my youngest cousins Reagan who I think is a doll!
Some of the girl cousins
All 4 of us were born the same year.  Sure love my cousins.
Here is the bouquet we made for grandma in a suitcase.  
Loved grandmas hands.
I rode to the cematary in the car with my aunt and uncle from Phoenix and my grandpa; just behind the hurst.  The most amazing sight came as we were leaving the chapel.  A train with its headlights on, was waiting on the tracks.  Throughout the funereal stories were told of grandma boarding the train, her life as a girl living in a box car with her family and her love for trains.  We all noticed the train, which to us represented grandma saying her final goodbye at least for now.  
Me, Deborah, Alisha
Cousins Katie and Alisha
After the funeral we gathered all the cousins and took a picture.  It is a pretty remarkable sight indeed.  
The ward gave us a wonderful luncheon, which included red jello with banana's.  Grandma would have loved it.  They must have known that was grandma's signature dish.  That evening, we all gathered at grandma and grandpas house and each one of us granddaughters were able to choose a doll from grandmas vast collection. We also had a mini talent show with Tanner and Tony singing, Just Beyond The Moon again, twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment