Sunday, January 22, 2012

They Taught Me Charity

This weekend gave me the opportunity to see charity in action by those in my family.  I was reminded of where I learned charity as I saw a book of compiled family stories on my grandpa's side table, a book entitled, "They Taught Me Charity."  This book was compiled by my aunt a few years ago.  I think there are stories that could be added to it, stories that I have seen first hand of the love that my family has for each other, but especially for my grandmother.  Over the past few weeks Grandmas health has drastically declined.  Instead of going to the temple as planned yesterday, I spent the entire day and evening at their home.  Grandma came home last Monday from the rehab center, where she wasn't progressing.  We met with hospice yesterday as we don't feel she has much longer.  My heart broke as my Grandfather through sobs, looked over at me and asked what to do and then gave permission for her to be a DNR.  There has been a tremendous outpouring of true love from my incredible family.  Yesterday and today I saw this as grandchildren, great-grandchildren, children, and in-laws came together.  One of my cousins is going through a divorce, life hasn't always been easy for him and because he is much younger than I, I don't know him well, but the compassion and love that I watched him show towards my grandmother touched my heart as he gently touched her and hugged her.  I heard that he changed her the night before, I don't think my brothers would have done that.  Yesterday grandma slept most of the day.  She woke just a little.  Only my aunt and grandma were there.  This gave me some one on one time with her to rub her feet and hands with lotions and feed her a few teaspoons of applesauce.  Today I felt like the Savior was touching grandma as my cousins 5 year old daughter warmed her hands over by the stove, when they were warm she came over to grandma and put her warm little hands on grandmas.  I was sitting next to grandma and heard her quietly say, "Thank You."  This little 5 year old had heard grandma say she was cold and because she heard this, she showed great charity and love, I would have never thought to do such a sweet, caring action.  We learned love and charity from our grandparents.  We've sat around and talked about the hours grandma spent in the kitchen baking and then sharing her goodies with friends and family.  The spirit in their home feels very close to what I'm sure heaven feels like.  I am sure there are heavenly angels in their home preparing to take grandma home when the Lord see's fit for her return.

2 comments: