Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Just Like Old Summer Days

I think today was about one of the most perfect Summer Days, except for those Summer Days that I read a book all day.  It started with meeting Tristen and the girls at Costco so that we could re-load on our Summer Fruit that we seem to go through so quickly these days.  We actually drove up at the same time and parked right by each other.  How often does that happen?  I broke down and bought a new phone there.  That's not what I went there for, but isn't that what usually happens when you go to Costco.  It really is about time since my ghetto phone was scratched and taped together with scotch tape.  I also got a pair of Lucky Jeans.  Tristen has a few pairs that she loves, so now we both have a new pair of jeans to love.  There is something about a new pair of jeans, especially in the Summer, because you know the first hint of fall you'll have a new pair of jeans to pair with a little sweater.
We dropped by Ulta, because my straightening brush broke last week.  Of course they didn't have the one that I typically used, but hopefully the new ones will work.  They also had their lipstick on sale for $2 (typically $8) and eye shadow $1 (typically $4), talk about a steal. I of course had  to stock up a bit.
I've heard on the news lately of the homeless people in Boise and the fact that they are having to be out in the 100 degree temps in the day.  I saw a story about a homeless husband and pregnant wife and their little girl who stand out on the corner in the Summer Heat to get diaper money.  There are really people in Boise who live like this.  I've thought about this ever since I saw the story.  So today Tristen and I bought 5 cases of water at Costco and took them to our homeless shelter in Nampa.  It was such a simple thing, yet brought me joy in the fact that I was able to serve others in need and to teach Tristen's girls about service (as Aidree kept asking what we were doing).  I loved the expressions of gratitude from the men who helped carry the water from the car to the shelter.  It made me grateful for my cups of ice I kept refilling from our fridge today.  They told us that they give out water to the people in the shelter when they leave for the day
When we got home my girlfriends were already there with their kids to swim for the rest of the Summer Afternoon.  Talk about relaxing!  Tristens kids are like fish.  They will stay in the pool all day.  We had so much fun that we of course will do it again on Friday and next Thursday when Tristen can come again too, since she works on Friday.  Looks like the rest of my days off this Summer will include pool time.  
For dinner we made yummy chicken, avocado, pesto sandwiches, fruit salad, and quinoa caprese salad with fresh basil from my garden.  Talk about the Perfect Summer Dinner, it totally was.  
Cousins Ben, Abe, Olivia, Eric and kids, and Robert and Thalia came over after dinner for a Summer Evening Swim and to enjoy our new Favorite Summer Treat; Lemon Meringue Pie Ice Cream on sugar cones thanks to mom stopping off at Cash and Carry this morning.  Remember that big thing of Ice Cream we used for Fathers Day?  Well there are at least 20 different Ice Cream flavors to choose from and since we loved the Lemon Meringue Pie ice cream that I got when we were in Weiser, mom got enough to last us the rest of the Summeror at least the end of the month.  Ben use to work at an ice cream shop so we had our own professional ice cream scooper!  It was  better than going to the ice cream shop because we got to lick our ice cream on our porch, while in our bathing suits swinging on our porch swing.  Indeed, today felt just like the Old Summer Days when I was a kid, as we soaked up every minute doing just what Summer Days were meant to be like!
Is that not just the happiest kid ever?
Can you see the big hole Aidree munched first in her cone?
The double scooper!
Bridget Turns 1 Tomorrow!  Oh how we love her!
A fire in the Boise foot hills started tonight and with all the other fires around has produced a lot of smoke, even though it looks like clouds.  The smoke and setting sun made for a beautiful view of the tree from our porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment