Sunday, July 29, 2012

London Summer Olympics 2012

I don't know when I first fell in love with the Olympics.  Maybe it was when I was a kid as I watched and hoped maybe that would be me on the podium accepting the gold someday, although not likely since I've never really been an athlete unless you count me and my stationary bike in cycle class, swimming against my siblings in our bite size family pool, or running on country roads, where sometimes I feel like I'm quite the athlete.  I'm sure my excitement for the Olympics increased from the SLC Winter Olympics, even though I left town the day of the opening ceremonies to visit my friend Aubrey in Seattle so I would be away from the crowds some.  I will never forget living in SLC when the Winter Olympics were held, the visitors that Tenielle and I had (including Grandpa Swensen and Aunt Gene, mom, dad, and the younger kids), the Olympic Spirit in the air, and the week I stayed home from work; watching the Olympics as I coughed up a lung from my only bout of pneumonia.
As I watched the opening ceremonies on Friday night in between the few patients I had and then watched the parade of nations with Tristen and Mitch, it occurred to me that we live in an amazing world.  Not that I didn't already know this, but it just seemed a little clearer.  I thought out loud how there are so many countries in the world, that have so many people, how does Heavenly Father know each of us?  Mitch answered it perfectly, because we are all His children.  I needed that reassurance that day.
My favorite Olympic events are swimming, diving, gymnastics, cycling, and anything else that shows off the hot, fit bodies of the male Olympians!  I like hearing the stories of Olympians and how they got to where they are today.  The last few days I've seen several clips of Raising an Olympian and how behind all Olympians there is a  supportive mother.  Just 45 minutes ago I spoke with my dear friend Emily.  It was 3am in London and she is there "working," (well she was finishing some laundry).  She wasn't going to go, but 7 days before the Olympics started, work had her go.  She has been telling me for over a year that if she goes that I should go with her.  Well, now I'm really going to get my passport this week for the next time an opportunity like that comes along.  The funny thing is we have been playing phone tag for the past few weeks.  Bummer for sure.  I can't wait to here all of her Olympic adventures.
For the next 2 weeks, I'm going to enjoy these Summer Olympics and of course think that I'm on the cycling course as a potential gold medalist, when really I'm on a stationary bike in a gym, or as an amazing swimmer when really I'm in the family pool in the back yard, or that I'm the fastest runner, when really my short legs just get me through my evening jogs on our country roads!

1 comment:

  1. Jason was actually in London the past two weeks for work. They had to get the audit finished BEFORE the Olympics started, so his visit didn't last long enough to see any events, but he did get to take the tour around the Olympic facilities. =)

    ReplyDelete