Thursday, May 8, 2014

Happy Birthday Auntie Thalia

Today is my Auntie Thalia's 60th Birthday.  She is one of the most special aunts.  When I was diagnosed with cancer she was at the hospital early in the morning before work and late into the evenings after work.  She was there every day of the 15 except for 1.  She got me a beautiful quilt from the pediatric ward, which I will always cherish.  She let me cry into her chest and arms when I was told that I was going to have to have an NG tube twice.  She also made an executive decision to take me outside in the sunshine after being in the hospital for 9 days, even though I wanted to stay in.  That day the sun never felt so good.
Aunt Thalia is an incredible woman.  She is super smart, takes care of many big and little details in the lives of her husband and children, takes on big projects, is a wonderful seamstress, knows how to make beautiful flower arrangements, is very giving, talented in many ways and makes by far the best dumplings ever.  These are southern dumplings to that she learned to make while growing up in Tennessee.
When I was in college I surprised her with my cousin Emilie and her family coming for Thanksgiving.  Afterwards, Auntie Thalia wrote me the most beautiful note that I still have tucked into my scriptures.

When I went through the temple she crocheted a hanky for me and wrote me a beautiful note telling me that if Grandma Swensen were here she would have done this for me, so she was taking her place.

I love my Auntie Thalia nearly as much as I love my own mother.  Happy Birthday, wishing you the best year yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment