Friday, January 30, 2015

The End of Jenny's Visit FF

1.  Jenny and I had such a great Saturday together.  I've worked nearly every Saturday since forever.  It is always nice to have a Saturday off.  We first took in a session at the Phoenix Temple. 
I hate to admit it, but I had a hard time keeping my eyes open.  I'm not a very good morning temple worshiper.
2.  We spent Saturday afternoon in Historic Scottsdale where we saw a cowboy on a horse in a bar, playing a guitar, shared a banana split at Sugar Bowl and enjoyed exploring this cute western/Mexican town.
3.  Saturday evening we relaxed at home, ate left overs, watched a movie and I painted my toenails.
4.  Sunday we attended what will be my new ward in Ahwatukee.  I'm pretty sure this might become my favorite ward ever.  They all were so friendly and have so many activities.  This past week I had been telling Jenny that I hoped they would have a book club and they do!  We also stopped in at my apartment to take pictures so that I can figure out what furniture I'm going to bring from Idaho, since I have way too many chairs and not as much space as I use to.  After church I made the Tuna Asian Salad and then it was time to take Jenny to the Airport.  It was so fun to have her here, I hope she visits again soon!
5.  That's it for the excitement this week, because I've worked every day, however I'm heading home this afternoon!  I am going to the storage unit for the last time, yeehaw!  I'm so excited to finally move out of there and to discover what is in those boxes that I've lived without for over 3 years.
6.  Happy Anniversary to this amazing couple.  I'm so grateful to them for their example of love, sacrifice and service.  Someday I hope to have the kind of relationship that they have.  I love you mom and dad!

7.  I have to add that last night's dinner was delicious, so delicious that I have to post it on my page, so that I don't forget to add it to my new favorite dinners!  I might add Uncle Gordon always wrinkles his nose when he see's one of my dinners, but this one he admitted several times that he like it.  He admitted he would have never ordered this on a menu, but again it was surprisingly delicious!  I have been searching for a recipe like this for quite a while and am happy to add it to my recipe book!  Compliments of Mel's Kitchen Cafe and if you don't already visit her sight on a daily basis, you should start!
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos
Yield: Makes about 6 burritos
Ingredients
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed small (about 3-4 cups) (I used 1 sweet potato and 1 yam)
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced small 
  • 1 small zucchini ( my addition)
  • 1 small red onion, diced small (about 1/2 cup) (didn't use this because Aunt Leslie told me no)
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drain
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (depending on your taste) (I also added a few handfuls of spinach and kale)
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (from about 1 lime) (I added a little more because I love lime)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I only used goat cheese, which was delicious)
  • 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
  • 6-8 burrito-size tortillas (whole wheat, white or other favorite variety) (loved the whole wheat)
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potatoes, jalapeno, red pepper and red onion with the olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Dump the coated veggies onto a large rimmed baking sheet and roast for 18-20 minutes, tossing halfway through. The vegetables should be tender but not mushy at the end of cooking time.
  2. Let the vegetable mixture cool. Scrape the mixture into a large bowl and toss with the black beans, cilantro and lime juice. Taste the mixture and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Refrigerate the mixture until ready to assemble the burritos or use immediately.
  3. Place 3-4 tortillas on a microwave-safe plat and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 15-20 seconds until the tortillas are pliable. Place 1/4 cup or so of the vegetable mixture in the center of the tortilla and top with a sprinkle with shredded cheese, a little of each kind.. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and roll up. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until you have all the burritos you need (the filling can be refrigerated and used for 3-4 days).
  4. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for about 10-15 minutes, until heated through and the top of the tortilla is golden brown. Adjust the baking time as needed depending on if the filling has been refrigerated or not. For a softer tortilla, wrap each burrito in tin foil and heat through. Serve immediately.
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/black-bean-and-sweet-potato-burritos/

No comments:

Post a Comment