Sunday, June 28, 2015

Mountains To Climb and Storms to Wither

This talk and video by President Henry B. Eyring have brought me such peace and comfort this week.

I especially love these quotes:

"I cannot promise an end to your adversity in this life. I cannot assure you that your trials will seem to you to be only for a moment. One of the characteristics of trials in life is that they seem to make clocks slow down and then appear almost to stop."

"There are reasons for that. Knowing those reasons may not give much comfort, but it can give you a feeling of patience. Those reasons come from this one fact: in Their perfect love for you, Heavenly Father and the Savior want you fitted to be with Them to live in families forever. Only those washed perfectly clean through the Atonement of Jesus Christ can be there."
"If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing. In all conditions, we can choose the right with the guidance of the Spirit. We have the gospel of Jesus Christ to shape and guide our lives if we choose it. And with prophets revealing to us our place in the plan of salvation, we can live with perfect hope and a feeling of peace. We never need to feel that we are alone or unloved in the Lord’s service because we never are. We can feel the love of God. The Savior has promised angels on our left and our right to bear us up.  And He always keeps His word."

Over the past few weeks I've questioned over and over in my mind, WHY hasn't Heavenly Father answered mine and my families prayers that the cancer won't come back and now I'm questioning WHY I have to go through this illness again.  I may never know the answer to my WHY questions, but I do know that I have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Though I may be facing this trial, my testimony isn't shaken in the least bit.  I know that there are angels all around me seen and unseen, who are bearing me up.  I testify that the Atonement is more than just for sin, but is for my physical and emotional pains, my heartaches and my disappointments.  I'm promised that if I have faith in Jesus Christ this hard time that I'm going through will be a blessing.  I see those blessings all around me.  I believe whole heartily that Heavenly Father is intricately involved in my life and in my care.

From the time I went to bed last night until well into this morning we had hurricane like winds.  I literally thought my house was going to blow over.  However, as I layed in bed safe and sound from the elements outside,  I thought of how the winds outside of my home were similar to the winds I'm experiencing in my life.  I felt peace and comfort in my home while the storm whipped up all around me.  Similarly, I feel peace and comfort in my life, even amongst the trials I am facing.  I recalled the Scriptures in Helamen 5:12:

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

From the time I was a small child, through Young Womens, into my college years and now my career, I've built my life upon faith and on my Savior.  It is because of this foundation that I can conquer this Goliath that I have to face.  Yes, it's difficult and yes I wish I didn't have to be tried and tested in this way again, but I also know that my faith and prayers will carry my through.  I know that when I get to the other side of this trial I will look back and see how much more I've become like my Savior.  
In my scripture reading this morning I noticed 2 quotes that I had written down when I attended a religion class this past Spring.  They gave me some kind of clarification to my question WHY.
Heavenly Father has calmed me.  I have such peace, even amongst the storm that I'm facing.  I heard today that my Primary children back in Phoenix are praying for me and I know so many other children are praying for me.  Kids have great faith and are so close to Heavenly Father.  I'm grateful for the many children in my life and for their heartfelt, tender and simple prayers.

The other quote was from Mother Teresa:  "I'm a little pencil in the hands of God.  Sometimes I need sharpening."

I'm pretty sure that Heavenly Father is not only sharpening me at this time, but also polishing my rough edges.  I'm not sure what the future will hold, but I know that again I will be better because of what I am experiencing.

Elder Holland said, "Believe in miracles. I have seen so many of them come when every other indication would say that hope was lost. Hope is never lost. If those miracles do not come soon or fully or seemingly at all, remember the Savior’s own anguished example: if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong, trusting in happier days ahead."

I have hope.  I believe in miracles.   I have seen miracles in my life and in others and I look forward to seeing another miracle in the coming months.  I don't know why I'm going through this trial, but I know that I have to have faith and keep moving forward.  And so I will.

1 comment:

  1. Heavenly Father has to be so proud of his daughter Terah and your great faith!!! You leave me in awe of you!!

    ReplyDelete