Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Apples, Applesauce, and More Apples

Yesterday morning dad and I trudged out (me in my awesome rain boots) in the rain to our friends orchard.  We picked and still had plenty of red apples from last week, but we realized after our first batch of applesauce that we needed to mix the red and yellow apples.  Since we had only picked a basket of yellow apples last week, we went out to pick more this morning.  It was pouring rain the entire drive and I was praying the entire drive that it would stop while we picked apples and guess what?  It stopped long enough for us to pick entirely too many apples, again.  There are just so many apples out there that are free and I don't want them to go to waste.  I'm in love with my rain boots and felt like a kid stomping over rotten apples in them.
We spent the entire day making applesauce.  I only cut myself once and it still hurts and is still bleeding.  It is such a sense of accomplishment to hear the pops from the jar lids letting us know they've sealed.  Needless to say, there are still boxes, laundry baskets, and a garbage can full of apples and we did 60 quarts of applesauce!  Today for lunch bunch I'm taking, yep apples, a pumpkin dip and a carmel apple dip who I believe I got the recipe from my friend Taya that I love.  Teneille is coming home this weekend and guess what is on the agenda?  More apple canning!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to get that caramel dip recipe....sounds good right now :). Mind if you post it here? I will forget to ask Taya, even though she lives across the street ;). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete