Friday, September 14, 2012

Fabulous Friday Hawaiian Style

This past week had only a few fabulous things because I worked 5 of 6 days so that I could have a few more days in Hawaii.  So really, do we need to talk about all the fabulous things or can we just cut to the chase and talk about Hawaii?  I think the later, with the exception of one very important event...Princess Aidree turned 3 this week.  I helped her celebrate by buying her a princess tiara and called her the Birthday Princess.  She is so darn cute and wore her tiara to costco and wanted it placed on her head first thing when she woke up.  Her mom is probably going to wish I hadn't have bought it for her, but for now it is too cute. 
Bedtime story with Grandma Betty!
Yesterday I flew to SLC where I met my brother Tony who is 10 years my younger.  We then flew to LA and onto Hawaii.  The flight to Hawaii was practically bare, which was kind of nice as we were able to spread our things out.  I loved also that we didn't hardily have any layovers, just enough time to go tinkle.  Tony's friend Chris and his wife Rachel picked us up in their 2001 hyandia accent, with manual roll down windows and no a/c.  It was totally awesome.  They took us to their BYU-Hawaii housing with cinder block walls and only 2 doors, one of which isn't to the bedroom.  Tony and I shared a queen bed out in the living room with the fan and wind blowing us to sleep.  Talk about relaxing and sticky.  I was awakened this morning at 200 and then 500 to an amazing rain storm, of course I fell back to sleep until 700 when I finally woke not to the sound of the ocean, because it is down the street, but to the sounds of roosters and baby's crying (they all live quite close to each other.)  We dressed in bathing suits, grabbed our towels and off we were to the beach of course.  Yep, by 830 we were out the door and headed to see the beautiful beaches of Oahu.  We decided to just drive along the highway, until we reached Matsumotos the most amazing shaved ice.  When I got up to the counter to order at 930, I asked if it was too early for shaved ice and the lady said, "it's never to early for shaved ice."  I got mango and coconut, light on the syrup topped with sweetened condensed milk.  What a great way to start our day. 

We then hit Sunset Beach where I enjoyed some rays and my current read, The Persian Pickle Club, while Tony did some snorkeling and got a little too much sun on his back.  He put sunscreen every where else however. 
 
I saw these and immediately thought of  my dear friend Emma and her tree in CLT.
 After we had enough sun for the morning, we met back at the BYU Hawaii marrieds housing where we changed and got ready for our afternoon hike, which I might add I got the dirtiest and my shoes are the only ones that got wet. It was a rather nice hike and very picturesque. We hiked up and down stairs, on rocks and boulders through the river, and over lots of tree roots. When we got to the end of the hike we came to a waterfall and a small body of water where Chris and Tony climbed more rocks and jumped into the cold water. Let's just say I would never be brave enough to do that. A shower never felt so good after that muddy mess; I had to scrub to get the mud off of me.
For dinner we went to Ted's Bakery where we shared some lemon chicken, which actually wasn't that good, but Tony's crab sandwich and french fries were delicious.  Ted's Bakery is famous for their pies, so we got 2 so we will have them for the rest of our stay, unless we run out and we will have to go back for another one.  Pie choices tonight which are suppose to be the best, chocolate PB and a chocolate coconut.  We all had a bite of the chocolate PB which was delicious.  What I love about college students is they eat out of the pie tin, which is better than dirtying the only few dishes in the cabinet.  It's not even 10, but this little chicken is ready for bed!

3 comments:

  1. AGHHHH!!!! I'm so jealous! Yes, Matsumotos- yum! Sunset beach- yes! Roosters crowing- sweet! Waimea Falls- lovely. And love that pic of the plumeria tree :). I'll have a post a pic on my blog of mine- it's looking really good and full. Just wish I was in Hawaii with my tree :).
    I have a book suggestion for you to read- just finished it at 2am this morning- The Forgotten Garden. Long, but enjoyable.
    Also, warning for the Pickle Club- there's the F-bomb in it, so watch out! Dumb, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps- you have to get a malasada while you are there. I think there is a truck in the parking lot near the McDonald's/grocery store is. Hopefully they still show up there. It's a like a taco truck, but they sell Portuguese fried donuts filled with custard/chocolate/coconut etc. It's called Leonard's Malasadas. Eat one for me please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, thanks for the suggestions I'll have to check them out! Having a relaxing time here for sure and eating a lot of yummy food!

    ReplyDelete