Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It's A Hawaiian Shopping Day

This morning I woke to the sounds and smells of another relaxing and amazing rain storm, this one lasted over 2 hours and poor Rachel had to walk to class in it.  She was drenched when she came home from class.  Did you know that Tony and I are sleeping in the same bed in the middle of their living room?  We are.  Tony sleeps with a towel; really.  After the rainstorm we drove to HNL where Tony and Chris rented scooters.  I took over the awesome, 5-speed, college-style Accent and headed to do some crazy shopping.  I first went to the Fabric Mart where there were so many kinds of Hawaiian Fabric, I didn't know where to start.  I really want to make a patch quilt from Hawaiian fabric.  I only had an hour there and couldn't decide on what I wanted so I didn't get anything.  I had a lunch date my friend from CLT Chrissy Briggs, who I met in the singles ward there.  She has been living here for 4 years as her husband is in the air force.  It was so good to see here.  We only had an hour before she had to pick up her boys, but we used every minute of that hour to catch up.  It really was an enjoyable lunch, where I had a Chinese chicken salad that was rather refreshing.  I had another refreshing salad last night with my fish sandwich.  I'm all about salads when it's hot. 
After lunch I headed over to Aloha Stadium where I wore my feet out searching for the best bargains.  Let's just say my Christmas Shopping is just about done, thanks to me finding my favorite thing.  I got my nieces the cutest moomoo's (that's probably not how you spell it, but for now that is how I'm spelling it) and me a white moomoo that I'm going to make into a temple dress. 
By this time I was sweating and sticky, but I still needed fabric, but only one more print, because I was able to find 3 prints for $3 at the market, instead of $4 at the fabric mart, which is still cheep.  I also bought some white fabric that was the same as the temple dress so that I can make it long sleeved.  Now I was really thirsty, so I stopped at the McDonald's to get a large water for 30 cents and a delicious ice cream cone.  Then onto Costco, because you know Costco has the best chocolates to take home to the family and the work crew including these chocolate, toffee covered macadamia nuts.  Good finds at Costco today for sure, including gas which was the cheapest I have seen it here for $4.21 a gallon, glad we aren't driving a gas hog.  By this time it was getting late and the sun was just about to go down, therefore making me have to drive in the dark in a city I didn't know, so I hurried on down to Waikiki to pick up the boys.  I got stuck right in the middle of the big city, in a car that kept stopping and then the check engine light came on.  I was freaking out, just a little, but finally got the boys and the check engine light eventually went off.  Did I mention that the windshield wipers don't work on this car and the registration is expired.  Glad it didn't rain and a cop didn't see my plates.  Of course by now we are hungry again, so we stopped at this random Japanese restaurant where we shared some very delicious sushi.  It totally hit the spot, especially the fried one with melted cream cheese and salmon.  As we were driving away, out of the corner of my eye, the Leonards Hot Malasadas Truck came into view.  Emma had warned me of their deliciousness, so right in the middle of the road, we made an illegal U-Turn and sped on over.  Yes, these are amazing Emma.  I loved the half of the custard one I ate tonight and am waiting to eat the coconut one tomorrow.  I'm sure you are saying, wow she must be gaining weight, but hello, I'm sweating all the calories off and as much walking as I did today, I can eat what ever I want; Hello I'm on vacation.  I packed all of my finds, incuding a hibiscus quilt into my extra suitcase, um, yea I think I need another one, or maybe I'll just use the fan box, cheaper than buying another one.  One more day of relaxation before reality strikes for another week, and then yes, another vacation to see the fall foilage!

3 comments:

  1. Can I say I'm pretty jealous about Hawaii? =) I haven't been very good about checking blogs lately, so it was fun to sit and catch up on your life. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you have not up dated yours lately. I think you should so I can feel connected to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!! So glad you made that illegal U-turn :).

    ReplyDelete