Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pearl Harbor

Happy Birthday to my sister Tenielle!  Today we headed to Pearl Harbor.  We toured around a bit and then found a church nearby so we could attend sacrament meeting.  It is important to me to go to church when I can given that I work every other Sunday.  After church we headed back to Pearl Harbor where we watched a film and then boarded the ferry over to the memorial.  I learned that there was 1.5 million gallons of oil on board and that it leaks 9 quarts a day.  They figure there is still enough oil to leak 9 quarts a day for over 100 more years.  Kind of crazy.  There were 36 survivors on the USS Arizona most all of which whose bodies have been returned to the memorial when they have died.  It would be interesting to read a personal account from one of these 36 survivors.  On our way back to the North Shore we stopped and watched the sun set over the ocean.  It was beautiful.  We also stopped off at the Temple Visitors Center where I watched 4 segments of the Special Witnesses, from some of the newly added Apostles.  The visitor center is very nice and enjoyable.  Of course we came home and had some more pie.  We dug into the coconut chocolate pie, along with the remaining chocolate PB pie.  Talk about delicious.  I've decided not to put pictures on until I return home, because it is so much easier with my own computer.  So you'll have to come back for the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment