Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Seattle Sunday

This morning I walked my .8 miles (with my sneakers on this time) to my conference.  I listened to a lecture on Foot and Ankle injuries, which wasn't all too exciting.  Then I walked back up the hill, against the wind and a slight sprinkle to my hotel to change so I could go to Sacrament Meeting.  I found a church 2 miles away.  I witnessed the most precious thing during the sacrament hymn I watched the 3 priests break the bread.  Something I do every Sunday, however one of the boys had Down Syndrome.  My eye's watered as I witnessed the simple gesture of another priest help the Down Syndrome boy break the bread.  As each of the prayers were said, the DS boy held the prayer card.  The service that the boys gave was so humbling.  When the DS boy came down and sat by his mother they hugged.  I could see excitement and love in both of their eyes.  The 2 speakers spoke on service.  Definitely a lesson for me and reminder that I need to give more service.  One of the speakers told a story about his mother who had a horse ranch and loved her 60 horses; his father was a doctor.  One day while riding, she was thrown off a horse and broke her neck and back.  She had to let her help go because they couldn't afford them.  Her boys took over their jobs for 7 years until they sold the ranch.  He mentioned that their friends would often help do the chores with them and none of them ever murmured about doing their chores, because they knew they were serving their mother.
I went back to my conference this afternoon where I learned about women's health, ophthalmology, TIA's/Strokes and Adolescent Medicine.  This evening Grandma Betty's daughter, son and son-in-law took me to dinner at a delicious Italian restaurant.  We had a wonderful time chatting and catching up!

No comments:

Post a Comment