Monday, January 20, 2014

Endurance Through Trials With Prayer

Yesterday at church a man spoke about endurance.  He used me as an example of enduring through physical trials.  He stated that we need to decide if we will endure through our trials.  I thought this was interesting.  His talk was from Oct. 2013 General Conference address from Richard J. Maynes.  Elder Maynes says, "Our ability to endure to the end in righteousness will be a direct proportion to the strength of our testimony and the depth of our conversion.  Heavenly Father has organized our journey through life to be a test of our character."  I love this last line.  It makes me wonder what kind of character I have because of my trials.  "When we face adversity in life and our desire is to emulate the attributes of Jesus Christ, it is essential to be spiritually prepared.  Being spiritually prepared means we have developed spiritual stamina or strength...We will consistently choose the right...We will become immovable in our desire and ability to the live the gospel."  He also quotes an anonymous author which I love, "You must become the rock the river cannot wash away."

Last night in my studies I read the following quote from Oct. 2013 General Conference from President Thomas S. Monson, "Our Heavenly Father, who gives us so much to delight in, also knows that we learn and grow and become stronger as we face and survive the trials through which we must pass.  We know that there are times when we will experience heartbreaking sorrow, when we will grieve, and when we may be tested to our limits.  However, such difficulties allow us to change for the better, to rebuild our lives in the way our Heavenly Father teaches us, and to become something different from what we were-better than we were, more understanding than we were, more empathetic than we were, with stronger testimonies than we had before.  This should be our purpose-to persevere and endure, yes, but also to become more spiritually refined as we make our way through sunshine and sorrow.  Were it not for challenges to overcome and problems to solve, we would remain much as we are, with little or no progress toward our goal of eternal life."

I love this quote.  As I have read it over and over the past two days I have seen how this past year of trials has made me want to be better, more understanding, and has definitely increased my testimony.  I hope that when I go back to work in 2 weeks that I will have more compassion, be a better listener and better provider to my patients; because of the amazing care I have had I want to give just as amazing care or better.  

Tonight's daily quote also by President Monson said, " It is imperative that we recognize that whatever has happened to us has happened to others.  They have coped and so must we.  We are not alone.  Heavenly Father's help is near.  We are all in this life together.  We have our share-sometimes it seems like an unfair share-of trails, disappointments, pain, and heartache large or small.  But God will not leave us comfortless or alone.  He has not left us without promised blessings and heavenly sustenance.  We can communicate with our Father in Heaven through the passport to peace and consolation: prayer. To any who from anguish of heart and sadness of soul have silently asked, 'Heavenly Father are  you really there?  Do you hear and answer every child's prayer?'  I bear to you my witness that He is there.  He does hear and answer every prayer.  His son, the Christ, burst the bands of our earthly prisons.  Heaven's blessings await you."

I know that the trials that I and you face are known to our Heavenly Father.  Is it always easy, no, no.  He knows the pains that I have experienced and the sorrows of my heart.  I know He has a Son our Savior Jesus Christ who has felt our pains and sorrows through the atonement.  I know that my prayers are heard and that I will be a better person as I endure the trials He feels I need so that I can grow and become like Him.  

1 comment:

  1. Love this blog!! Terah you have changed especially in compassion and your closeness to Heavenly Father and Christ!! How lucky are your patients to come, they will feel it and get warmth and hope from you and ofcoarse the best care!! love al

    ReplyDelete