Friday, October 14, 2011

A Note To My ER Staff

The night before I left when I couldn't sleep, I got up to write a going away letter to the people who have been a part of my life for the past 5 years.  I am so blessed to have had the experience that I had, to work with the amazing people that I worked with.  I will truly miss them.  I thought I'd share my letter with you...

Dear ER Staff, Friends, and Co-Workers,

I can't begin to express the gratitude in my heart that I have for each one of you and the effect you have had on my life over the past 5 years.  You have been my family, my friends, my therapists, my shoulder to vent or shed a few tears on.  We have shared weekends, holidays, mornings, nights, and long afternoons together.  Each one of you has taught me something whether you realize it or not. 
Thank You to my nurses who are always at least one step ahead of me.  Thank you to my NA's who work the hardest; I know that was my first job when I graduated from high school.  Thank you to the secretaries who always called housekeeping for papers towels in room 3.  Thank you to housekeeping for your hard, diligent work and for always keeping the restrooms stocked with toilet paper; yes that is so important.  Thank you to the person and we all know who you are who keeps the rooms stocked and my size 5 1/2 sterile gloves in my secret drawer.  Thank you to those who have not so happily and happily assisted me the one and only pelvic queen, for holding kids super still so I could sew lips and eyebrows, and to those who suctioned those ever lovely abscesses.  
Thank You to the Midlevels who switched shifts to allow me one or two more day in Idaho to be with my family, who made work fun, who gave me second opinions from time to time, and who have become some of the best friends a girl could ask for.  
Thank You to all of the most amazing doctors who trusted me and my skills, who gave me a chance to grow and develop my talents and knowledge, and who taught me more than I ever thought possible.  
It truly has been five amazing, wonderful, happy years for me.  Yes, there have been bad days, and cranky days and I wish I wasn't here days, but all in all it has been much more than just a job or a career.  It has been part of my life that I will always hold close to my heart because you all have made a lasting impression on my life.  
Growing up, my mom had and still has the following quote on her refrigerator, "If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues." Thomas S. Monson.  This has echoed in my ears over and over again when days are hard and I wish I was somewhere other than work.  It helps me remember to be grateful that I have a job, that I can provide for myself, and that I can be the person who can make a difference to the person who thinks they are having an emergency, even if we don't think they are.
May you remember to be grateful, even when days aren't so great!  May you find happiness in not only the big things, but also the little things.  May you be the person to take a little extra time with the patient who may just need a listening ear, even if outside the door there are 30 other patients waiting to be seen.  These are the patients and experiences I will hold closer than anything.  Remember you can be the one who makes a difference.  
I'm not saying goodbye, just I'll see you later, like in the spring when it's still snowing in Montana and I need some place warm to visit.  And if you are ever in Montana or you want some place cold to visit know you have a place to stay!
Much Love and Appreciation to each and every one of you.

Mary Poppins said it best, "With every job when it's complete there is a sense of bittersweet that moment when you know the task is done, though in your heart you'd like to stay to help things on their way, you always learn they must do it alone." 

No comments:

Post a Comment