Monday, August 5, 2013

Grandpa Swensen Update

Remember my post in May about the Big Bad "C" word?  It was in regards to my Grandpa being diagnosed with cancer.  I'm happy to report he is doing rather well.  He had 10 rounds of radiation which made him very tired and without an appetite.  But it improved his pain.  He elected not to have chemo, even though I keep trying to get him to do it with me.  He decided if the chemo was going to make him feel like crap, he would rather just live his life as long as he could with the cancer and make the most of it.  It is so strange to have cancer along with your grandfather.  Doesn't seem right at all.  A few weeks ago he came over to visit.  It was one of the only times I have seen him cry.  It was humbling to me.  He told me it was ok that he had cancer because he has lived a long healthy life, but I still have so much life to live and it just wasn't fair.  I agree; this is so not fair!  Mom and I often walk down to see grandpa because he lives down the street.  In a few years, I know I will miss those days.  He always offers me a soda, which I never take him up on these days.  Last night we walked down there but they weren't home. They drove into the subdivision as we were nearing our home so we stood in the street and chatted a bit.  He told me I was beautiful even without hair.
I'm going to beat this thing, even though the last few days the chemo has kicked my butt.  I'm having a good day today and tomorrow will likely be good too, but I have IP chemo again tomorrow so I'll be down for a few days at the end of the week.  Ugh.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your grandpa has been greatly affected by your cancer, as we all have!! I'm happy he's doing better!!

    ReplyDelete