Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Letter To DR. K.

I know it isn't every day you write a letter to your ob/gyn, however never has one had such an impact on my life as Dr. K.  The thing about Dr. K is that his wife had cancer when she was about my age and passed away from it.  I'm sure seeing me brought back many of those memories and he did everything he could because of his experience.  I'm grateful he is a member of my church and that I can include my testimony in this letter.  For months I have wanted to do something for him to let him know of my great appreciation for what he did for me, but it has been difficult to put this into words.  I love the book Return by Richard G. Scott.  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.  It will bring you so many answers to prayers as you go through different difficult seasons of your life.
Dear Dr. K,

I will never be able to express the gratitude I have in my heart for all that you did for me in June in regards to my Ovarian Cancer diagnosis.  I will ever be grateful that I didn’t have much time to think about my diagnosis until after surgery and being home.  I think it would have been so much harder had I have had days or weeks to think about my diagnosis had you not have gotten me in with Dr. Cooper as quickly as you did.  We certainly felt the spirit of peace and comfort in your office, which was much appreciated. 
Thank you for clearing your schedule and staying late to be with me in surgery that day.  How grateful my family and I were in knowing a worthy Priesthood holder was in that surgical suite.  Thank you for your prayers in my behalf, for your many hospital visits, kindness, gentleness and genuine concern for someone you had just met.  There could be no greater example of a true physician. 
My testimony of the Atonement has grown in leaps and bounds as I have come to understand what the Savior suffered for me as I have gone through my own Gethsemane.  I have a greater testimony that the Atonement involves more than just sin.  I know that our Savior knows what it is like to have Ovarian Cancer, pain, disappointment, sorrow and more as he suffered for each of us in The Garden of Gethsemane.  I have felt the heavy burden that was placed upon my shoulders physically lifted as I have let the Atonement take place in my life over the past 4 months.  I have felt this burden lifted through the many prayers offered in my behalf by so many from different denominations.  I know our Heavenly Father hears all of these prayers including mine.  I don’t know how He does it, but I know He does. 
I have a deeper testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith as I have gone through this trial myself, especially as he experienced the trials and challenges that were wrought upon him.  I can relate to his question in Liberty Jail, “Oh God, where art thou?  And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place?”  And I have experience the peace that I am sure he did as the Lord answered, “My son, peace be unto they soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high.” D&C 121:1, 7-8. 
It is through the knowledge and skills of my medical providers, modern medicine, priesthood blessings, my faith, the faith I have in prayer and the prayers of others that I will be healed.  We as a family have certainly seen many miracles over the past 4 months, which has increased our faith in our loving Heavenly Father.  I feel that I have so many things to accomplish and people to help before I meet our Heavenly Father.  Through this experience I hope to bring a greater awareness of Ovarian Cancer in my community, friends, co-workers, women and especially to practicing Physician Assistants throughout our country. 
Enclosed is a small token of appreciation.  This book is one of my favorites.  It has brought me much direction and has added to my faith through different challenges that I have experienced in my life.  My hope is that you will enjoy it as much as I do. 
With Much Appreciation and Gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. He sounds like a Dr to good to be true. Everyone would love to have a Dr like him!!. I love the letter and your gratitude, its got to mean the world to him!! LOve anut L

    ReplyDelete