Tuesday, October 1, 2013

An Ovarian Cancer Aquaintance

Today at chemo I sat by a women who has ovarian cancer. She said she had never met another person with ovarian cancer.  This is her second round of treatment.  She was diagnosed when she had a hysterectomy for ovarian cancer at age 48.  She went through the treatment that I am going through and a year later had a CT scan which showed a few lymph nodes with cancer so she had them removed and is having a different kind of chemo.  I pray mine goes away for good and I don't have to go through this again.  We have been talking all morning.  It is kind of fun to have someone who has gone through what I am going through.  She works for the city and has all kinds of connections.  I talked with her about doing an ovarian cancer run which she is interested in because she is a marathon runner.  She wants to help in getting this going in our town.  Our goal is to have a walk next September like the 27th during Ovarian Cancer month.  I'm so excited.  She is going to talk with the mayor and the city officers to see if they can help us with funding and support.  One of the people running for mayor had "an ask me questions" on facebook last week.  I asked him if he would support turning the town teal during September for Ovarian Cancer month and he said yes.  This new friend of mine said she thinks both people running for mayor would be supportive of it, especially because they know her and what she has gone through.  I'm so excited for what I'm going to be able to do in the future to be an advocate and to raise funds for Ovarian Cancer.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how much good your already doing!! Love AUNT L

    ReplyDelete