Monday, September 30, 2013

Post #500! Easy Gourmet Dinner

I can't believe I'm on post #500.  This calls for something special, like what we had for dinner tonight...my mom says I talk too much about food on my blog, but my cousin Alisha loves it.  I think of it as giving my readers ideas for dinner and for me not to forget my favorite recipes.  Tonight's dinner of French Onion soup and Turkey Reuben's was pretty much gourmet.  I felt like I was sitting in my favorite Panera enjoying their French Onion soup and a sandwich.  Thanks to my friend Megan I had a ton of onions, so I needed to use them up.  I think I may just have to go get more given I now have a new favorite soup recipe.  So here it is recipe's for a gourmet, easy breasy dinner:
French Onion Soup
Ingredients:
3 large onions
2 T butter
1 can beef broth
1 T flour
1 can water
chicken bouillon
1 T tomato sauce
1/2 tsp dried thyme or to taste
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder or to taste
Sprinkle of Tabasco Sauce to taste
Swiss cheese

In a pan melt butter then cook sliced/chopped onions until slightly caramelized, then transfer to crock pot.  Add all of the ingredients, except cheese to a crock pot.  Cook on high for 4 hours. Sprinkle cheese on top of bowl of soup.  You may add croutons, but I didn't.  You can increase the ingredients for a larger crowd.  This will likely feed 5-6.

Turkey Reuben (This is a Bobby Flay Recipe)
Ingredients:
Russian Sauce
1/2 cup Mayo
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
2 T ketchup
1 T red wine vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard

Sauerkraut
Rye Bread (I got mine for half off at my local Harvest Bread)
Swiss Cheese
Slicked Turkey
Combine first 5 ingredients.  Then layer your sandwich with sauce, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and turkey.  Grill and enjoy!  I was full and only was able to eat a half, but would have loved a whole sandwich. Will definitely be enjoying the left overs another day.  

3 comments:

  1. The Turkey Ruben sounds great but the onion soup--ugh!! You can never talk to much about food for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make you french onion soup when I come next and you will love it!

    ReplyDelete