Monday, September 2, 2013

Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

It's hard to believe that September is here.  I have a new found love for September because it is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month which President Obama declared just last year in 2012.  I learned today that his mother passed away at age 52 from Ovarian cancer.  In his declaration he stated:
This year, thousands of American women will lose their lives to ovarian cancer.  They are mothers and daughters, sisters and grandmothers, community members and cherished friends — and the absence they leave in our hearts will be deeply felt forever.  During National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, we honor those we have lost, show our support for women who bravely carry on the fight, and take action to lessen the tragic toll ovarian cancer takes on families across our Nation.
So this month I will wear as much teal as I can (even though I don't have much teal, I better go buy some), because teal is the ovarian cancer color.  I will continue to hope and pray that I live to tell my story of survival, hope and faith for many years to come.  From now on I will be an advocate for ovarian cancer research and early detection; I will be a voice I never dreamed of being, but one that I am proud to be, as an example of a strong, courageous woman!

New favorite quotes:

"Hope is not a wish, it is a belief!"

"A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey she will become strong."

1 comment: