Monday, September 9, 2013

Decoding Annie Parker

Last Thursday I went with my cousin Alisha, friend Linda and my mom to the Boise premier of Decoding Annie Parker.  I have been looking forward to this for at least the past month.  It was a very stormy night, remember we had a flood in our basement, but we left the boys to the work and went out for girls night.  They had a red carpet, I've never walked the red carpet until that night!  We had appetizers, drinks, popcorn and candy.  This place has the best humus ever!  Before the showing we ran into a girl that Alisha and I had gone to school with.  I haven't seen her in 18 years.  It was pretty special.  I always thought she was one of the nicest girls ever.  It was fun to catch up with her.
My Movie Review:
The movie had a great message and I really enjoyed that it was about a down to earth, normal girl.  I loved learning about the BRCA research.  I felt that I related so much to Annie Parker in her desire to know more about breast cancer; in my desire to know more about ovarian cancer and wanting to get involved in the research so that other's are aware of this Silent Killer.
I admit the "F" word was used too often in this movie by the husband and the sex scenes were to explicit for my liking, especially because I was sitting by my mother.  There were many older women there that I'm sure felt uncomfortable too.  Had I not have been there for the cause that I was, I would have walked out.  After the movie we were able to ask the director Stephen Bernstein questions.  What an awesome director; so friendly and stayed around answering question and talking with us until the last one's left (that was us).  I asked about Annie's relationship with Dr. King (who was the researcher) now.  He said they actually had never met before the movie came out, even though he showed that they had in the movie.  He did say that they have met since the movie has come out.
Afterwards we took pictures with him and I asked him why he used the "F" word so much.  He said that he actually toned down the language that she used in her journals quite a bit but that this depicted her and her family.  I also asked him why he portrayed cancer patients looking so sick, because I'm a cancer patient and I don't look like that.  He laughed and said, "No you don't look like a normal cancer patient."  He asked for my blog and said he wanted to keep in contact with me.  You never know maybe one day he will write a movie about ovarian cancer and use my journal entries!  I would watch this movie again and would recommend it if you use clear play to bleep out the "F" word and the sex scenes.
My favorite part of the movie was when Annie was talking about believing.  I felt like we think the same, to believe in getting better and recovering from the cancer.  She has actually had cancer three times including breast and ovarian.  I could definitely relate to her always wearing a coat, because I always have to put on a jacket around 8pm every night!
On the Red Carpet, I know bad picture, but I've never been on the Red Carpet before!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for asking him those questions. He was probably shocked you have cancer, you look so beautiful and healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Terah! Way to ask questions :). You look awesome, girl.

    ReplyDelete