Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas Music

When I was a kid I swear my mom started playing Christmas music the day after the Fourth of July. I LOVE Christmas music. I admit, I have been listening to it since October. There is something about seeing fabulous fall colors and listening to Christmas music as I travel down the street. My favorite Christmas music has to be the classics sung by Frank Sinatra, The Carpenters, Bing Crosby, etc. My all time favorite group however are the Statler Brothers. I remember all of the times mom would sing along with them as the tape deck ran. I do love listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. For many years as a family we have attended their Christmas Choir concert and throughout the month of December I replay these concerts on DVD and also watch them on PBS. My favorite Christmas songs include Silver Bells, When Joseph Went to Bethlehem, Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, Joy to the World, Angles We Have Heard on High, I'll Be Home For Christmas, and Far Far Away on Judea's Plane. I love singing these along with my sisters as we harmonize together. Christmas music reminds me of when the Angels visited the Shepherds announcing the birth of our Savior. What beautiful music it must have been. I read the following quote the other day and really enjoyed it. I think that it wraps up the importance of Christmas music. "This Christmas season remember the importance of the angels on that first Christmas night and the sweet message they brought to the earth. They came to spread great joy, to give good tidings, to create anticipation. Let the music of this season surround you, and as you listen to the familiar voices testify of the Savior's birth, may you find your heart filling with those same emotions, not just until it is full-but until it is overflowing." Emily Freeman

No comments:

Post a Comment