Sunday, May 26, 2013

Aunt Leslie's White Whole Wheat Bread

Since I've been in Phoenix, every few weeks Aunt Leslie makes 4 loaves of Whole Wheat White Bread.  She grinds her own wheat too. When she makes this, her house smells just like I remember my Grandma Young's house smelling, because Grandma Young always made homemade bread.
5 Cups Warm Water
2/3 Cup Oil
2/3 Cup Honey
2T Yeast
About 4 Cups of White Whole Wheat Flour
Mix all together now.
She says you shouldn't put salt in until you have put some of the flour in.
2T Salt.
1/3 Cup Dough Enhancer
2T Lemon Juice
Then a few more cups of flour.  She usually puts about 7-8 cups until as Grandma Young would say, "It feels like a baby's bottom...soft.  You can't go by until it pulls away from the sides, because it is then too done."  Let the machine work for about 10 minutes on low.  Always smack the dough on the kitchen table.  Make into loaves and spray with PAM.  Cover with Saran Wrap with PAM on it.  Just let it raise double, if more it will be too flat.
My mom, Grandma Young and Aunt Leslie all use a Bosh.  She then puts it into the pans and let's them raise.  My mom and grandma usually let it raise twice.  I haven't tried making this bread, but will try someday.  My mom always makes bread, but I can never maker her bread as good as she does.  We'll see if mine tastes anything like Aunt Leslie's.
Bake on 350 for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment