Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Big Bad "C" Word

It's for real and I think we have finally had time for it to sink in, Grandpa Swensen has the big bad "C" word.  Multiple Myeloma to be exact.  One never wants to hear, "you have cancer."  In fact I think that is my biggest fear, besides drowning or being burned in a fire.  It's funny however how things change so very quickly regarding family relationships when someone develops an illness, that will take their life in the next months to years; if we are lucky.  Dare I say I'm actually grateful for this trial our family has to experience?  The past 2 weeks have allowed me to see so many wonderful things I am so grateful for.  I'm grateful for my mom who is ever so willing to help out any way she can; as she lets bygones be bygones.  I'm grateful that she doesn't work so she can take Grandpa to his radiation and doctors appointments, go over to set out meds and make sure his pain is controlled.  I'm grateful my parents live 11 houses down the street so at 1:30am when something happens, my parents can be there in minutes to help out.  I'm grateful for family, coffee shop friends, and church friends who have visited my Grandpa and showed their support for him and our family.  I'm grateful for the man who came to stretch the carpet to get the wrinkle out so there is less of a chance for Grandpa to trip and fall and gave my Grandma Jeanne an 87 year old discount; FREE and on a Saturday morning nonetheless.  I'm grateful for  the medical knowledge I have that allows me to understand and explain to my family what the diagnosis means and the coming treatments if he so desires.  I'm grateful for time and the job I have that allows me time off when I need it.  I'm grateful that I will be home in 3 1/2 weeks to spend all the time I can with Grandpa in the 3 weeks I will have home before going to Martha's Vineyard for the Summer.  I'm grateful for the memories I have of a 4th of July vacation Tenielle and I took where we vacationed with Grandpa and Grandma Jeanne in Cape Cod several years ago. I'm grateful for Grandpa's example of buying lemonade and melted popsicles on our walk at the beach in Cape Cod from kids at a lemonade stand.  Since then I've always carried some change in my car, so I can stop at lemonade stands and leave a large tip for kids saving up for something special.  I read a quote yesterday that put things into perspective, "Sometimes the road with the most uncertainty comes with the greatest rewards."  We don't know what will happen in the coming months, much less the coming weeks, but I'm grateful that times like these help me realize what really is important in life; family, memories and the relationships we build with others.
I love this picture of mom and Grandpa and Jeanne's nephew at Jeanne's sister Patty's Wedding.   Patty passed away from cancer shortly before the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment