Sunday, May 26, 2013

Mom's Cinnamon Rolls And Frosting

My cousin's and aunt think that my Grandma Young has always made the best cinnamon rolls.  When I came to Phoenix they would talk about it all the time and they all use her recipe.  I have always thought my mom's were better than any I've ever tasted, even Grandma Young's.  Several weeks ago we were at Deborah's for dinner and I told her to save her potato water to make cinnamon.  She didn't get it until she used my mom's cinnamon roll recipe the next day.  Since then the other sisters have used the recipe and will admit these are better than Grandma Young's, which Aunt Leslie thinks is a disgrace.  Deborah informed me a few days ago that she lost the recipe.  Jennifer her sister called my mom a few days back and apparently mom gave her 2 recipe's and both were different than what I had given Deborah and not as good.  So today Deborah had left over potato water and wanted to make cinnamon rolls.  We finally nailed mom down to find us the right recipe.  Funny thing is the recipe came from Tenielle's who got it from a bunch of recipe's I had typed up years ago.  So here it is:

My Mom's Basic Sweet Roll Recipe.
2 Cups Warm Potato Water (meaning left over from making mashed potato's) or regular warm water.
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cube Butter or 1/2 Cup Oil
Almost 1T Salt
2 T Yeast
1 Cup Scalded Milk
5-6 C Flour
mix together
knead dough with your Bosh, roll out into a square, layer with butter, cinnamon, sugar, raisins or chocolate chips if desired, roll up and cut into 1/4 inch sections.  Put in 9x13 pan or on a cookie sheet.
Bake at 400 for 12 minutes.

My mom also makes the best frosting I've ever had.  You can even add cocoa to this and make chocolate frosting.
Frosting for anything, but especially delicious on cinnamon rolls.  Don't put this on until cinnamon rolls are cooled.
Butter (about 3/4-1 cube), Powder Sugar half the bag, Vanilla, Evaporated Milk maybe about a half can.  Dump until you like the consistency, we like it think, not thin.  I actually start out with the butter and a little PS and EM, then add as I go.  Mix with electric mixer.

4 comments:

  1. yum! I like the potato water in this recipe- it's gotta be good! I will make this in a few weeks. Thank you!! I also have a sweet and sour sauce recipe I was going to send you (I keep forgetting) for a switch with the haystacks. It's super good. I'll try and remember to send it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how would these compare to Ms Cassie's?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet and Sour sauce-
    1/4 c cornstarch
    3/4 c sugar
    1 c broth
    1/8 c soy sauce
    1/3 c + 2 tbs vinegar
    1 c pineapple juice
    1/3 c + 2 tbs ketchup
    Mix cornstarch and sugar together in a medium saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Turn down heat and simmer for 10 min.

    This is good with meatballs too- like, really good. Serve on top of rice. Yum. This is making me really hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wouldn't be fair of me to compare my mom's to my dear friend Cassie's now would it? A mother always makes the best though right? And I actually only think I've had Cassie's once, but I've never been a fan of cream cheese frosting, which is what she uses....
    Thanks Emma, I always like a new recipe. I'll definitely have to try it. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete